On Saturday afternoon (19th August 2017), Mt Eliza Fire Brigade attended a house fire on Millbank Drive, Mount Eliza.
A working smoke alarm alerted the occupants to the fire who were able to evacuate to safety and call triple zero.
We arrived on scene within 5 minutes of the first call, and found the fire had just started to extend through the roof. Our crews engaged in an aggressive internal attack using breathing apparatus and hose lines, and with assistance from Frankston Fire Brigade we were able to bring the fire under control within 10 minutes.
The fire started in a clothes dryer in the laundry and caused extensive damage to the house.
This is a timely reminder to check and clean the lint filter in your clothes dryer and above all else, ensure that your smoke alarms are working and are regularly tested.