BBQ Gas Cylinder Catches Fire in Mount Eliza Backyard

  • 0

BBQ Gas Cylinder Catches Fire in Mount Eliza Backyard

As the warmer weather approaches, we urge you to check your BBQ and gas cylinder’s integrity before cooking a sensational meal.

On Saturday 29th October 2016 at 4:20pm crews from Mount Eliza Fire Brigade and Frankston Fire Brigade responded to a BBQ gas cylinder on fire at Walkers Rd, Mount Eliza. On arrival, the fire was well alight. We extinguished the fire and with the assistance of Somers Fire Brigade, conducted a flare-off of the remaining gas in the cylinder in a safe and controlled manner.

Gas cylinder and BBQ fires are extremely dangerous. People are often unaware of the amount of gas a cylinder can hold and fires can be unpredictable and intense.

Cylinders can degrade over winter and can occasionally be faulty – so a safety check is imperative before use.

Enjoy a Fire Safe Barbecue

If it has been some time since you last used your gas barbecue, follow these three steps to be sure it’s safe:

  1. Check to see if the cylinder is damaged – Don’t try to refill a damaged cylinder – exchange it at a reputable supplier.
  2. Check the hose to make sure it hasn’t deteriorated – Spray the hose and regulator connections with soapy water – if soap bubbles appear, you’ll know that gas is escaping. This means you’ll need to either correct the connections or replace your hose.
  3. Check that your barbecue is clean – Excess fat or residue can cause a fire.

If your BBQ Gas Cylinder Catches Fire

If a fire does start from a gas leak, don’t try to extinguish the flames. Turn off the gas at the cylinder, but only if it’s safe to do so. If you are unable to, call triple-zero (000) immediately.

Look Before You Cook

Leave a Reply