Mornington Peninsula Shire’s Open Air Burning Local Law regulates burning off outside of the Declared Fire Danger Period. As per previous years, restrictions will be eased during the month of October 2018 to enable landowners on smaller properties to burn off for fire prevention purposes.
For October 2018 ONLY, Open Air Burning is permitted on Fridays and Saturdays between 9:00 am and 4:00 pm on land less than 1500 square metres, provided that:
- Not more than ONE cubic metre of vegetation is burned at any one time
- The fire is not within 10 metres of any neighbouring dwelling
- The General Fire Safety Provisions are followed at all times
Open Air Burning regulations for land more than 1500 square metres and more than 40,000 square metres remain the same.
Please read: Open Air Burning Regulations October 2018 Only
General Fire Safety Provisions
Please follow the General Fire Safety Provisions when burning off.
The following provisions MUST be followed, regardless of land size:
- Give notice to adjoining landowners/occupiers 24 hours prior to the burn
- Call at least two hours prior to the burn to log your fire with the Emergency Services Telecommunications Authority 1800 668 511
- Establish a fire break of no less than 3 metres cleared of all flammable material
- Ensure the fire is supervised by an adult at all times
- Ensure there is sufficient fire protection equipment available on site at all times
- Ensure the vegetation to be burnt is dead and dry prior to lighting (no green waste)
- Ensure at the site of the fire, the wind speed does not exceed 20 kilometres per hour